Home
Suzuki GS 1000
Moto Blog
Reconstruction 78 GS1000 (#4)
Suzuki GS 1000
Suzuki GS 1000
13 Dec 2020

Reconstruction 78 GS1000 (#4)

Cleaned up and partially restored my gauges....numbers are still a bit sunbaked....

With most of the wiring taken care of, it was time to get to the brakes.
I had rebuilt the rear 600 bandit caliper, and figured out how to mount the 600 Katana master in the original position. But I had to make an actuating rod from the stock pedal to the master.
I also had to make my own brackets to adapt the 600 Katana front calipers to the GS1100 forks and GS1150 rotors.
And was hoping that a B-King radial master would be enough to get it working without too much lever travel, with the antidive.

I stole the seat off my other GS1000, and put the near mint stock one back on, that originally was with that bike.
This seat has a very good base, but the foam was a bit chewed up, which was why I cut it down.
After I got the foam shaped how I wanted it, I made a half assed cover for it, and actually looked almost usable.
It will get a better cover before it's all done, don't worry

I started dragging my feet a bit, as it seemed I was almost afraid to finish it....
The carbs still need to be soda blasted, sonic cleaned, and rebuilt with a Dynojet stage 3 kit.
I had imported a RGV250 VJ23 from Japan around this same time period, so I was having a hard time concentrating on one thing for very long.
(as the VJ23 came in pieces in a box, engine shipped in a separate box)) ?

t was time to see if all my work was any good....

I took the seat to get recovered, and bought a brand new fuel tap (GS850 which I needed to modify to make work) The one I rebuilt had a hole ate into it from the acid/vinegar, that I had in the tank... :(
Put on another seat that I originally bought for the black bike, (since I stole the one that was on it earlier) that has an excellent base and good foam to work with....but ugly cover.
Tank was reasonably clean inside, and I got an extra fuel filter to keep out as much crap as I could from getting into the carbs.......And.....
I decided it was time to run it up the road....!!!!!!
No plates, no insurance, no riding gear, no worries.....:stop:
I didn't give a fuck, I was going for a ride...!!!!

It ran perfectly, although after checking plugs, I could see it was running a little rich (put the bigger of the two main jet options from the Dynojet kit in).
The seat didn't turn out exactly like I hoped, but the guy would have needed the whole bike to make it right (maybe before spring?)
Brakes are still an issue, and I need more time on the road to get a feel for the carb settings.
Tank needs cleaned out better yet, and my piggyback shocks need to get sent off to rechrome a rust/leaking shaft...
But considering all I did to it, I'm happy nothing fell off or has blown up yet.
Snow is here now, and the project has stopped.....I'm seriously burned out from working on bikes (finished 3 of them this year...but not the VJ23 yet) But I will do a story on the VJ23 here soon in watercooled/two stroke/V-twin.....which it fits all three categories...
Time for a break until early spring I think....
Happy Holidays to those who read this soon, and to those others......I'll be back in spring to give a full ride report.

A view of some of the parts that got left behind.... Not sure what I'll do with them all, but I doubt I'll ever use any of them....
Pulled tank off today, and will be filling with vinegar one more time. Getting a bit of orange in the floatbowls still. Also will be getting a pingle fuel tap, since I no longer have a vacuum line coming from the carbs on the 29's...Need to get one with a reserve, since my gauge isn't cooperating yet. Been running with tap on prime at the moment.

0 3.4K
Comments
No CommentsNo Comments yet. You can write the first
Please Log In or install the app. Comments can be posted only by registered users.
Related
Home
Menu
Posting
Notify
Sign In
Profile
Content creation
Search
See More