Home
Yamaha YBR-125
Moto Blog
Part 8 - Yamaha YBR 125: Homemade Exhaust System
Yamaha YBR-125
Yamaha YBR-125
1w ago

Part 8 - Yamaha YBR 125: Homemade Exhaust System

Once again thinking over the project, I realized that there is no way to bypass this step, because the native YBR exhaust is too bulky and low. And what is a scrubber without an adequate exhaust? I have to fix it.

The first thing I did was to buy a small Chinese can (not straight-through) on ebay and welded a small mount for it in the tail section, using a protruding remnant of the YBR trunk and reinforcing it with a brace. The welding was a bit of a mess, there was a lot of slag, so I double welded the welds, cleaned them up and smeared the pores with metal epoxy.

I decided to do it with "little blood": to leave half of the exhaust pipe original (from the inlet part), and to weld the rear part so that to place the new muffler at the top - almost at the level of the seat, away from the dirt. Hanging the muffler on the mount, I realized it was worth going on! - It turned out pretty lean, just the way I wanted it:

Then I drew a general sketch of the exhaust system in photoshop, picked up a donor (an old exhaust from Honda CL 350), cut off the back part of the standard pipe and all the excess from it and made this layout from wattman - to understand the future design:

And now: "Saw, Shura, saw..." - I sawed various elbows from the donor mating, as well as straight sections from pieces of the original exhaust. After that I took off chamfers, temporarily taped it all with painter's tape and adjusted it to the place:

I joined all the links by tack welding - 4 points for each joint. For welding I used E308L16 stainless steel electrodes with a small current of 55A, polarity reversed. After removing the tube from the bike, everything was thoroughly welded. The lugs for the muffler mounting springs were also welded on:

After all the seams were cleaned with a bolgar - some places had to be slightly welded. And in order to minimize the feeling of collage - everything was polished with the help of felt tips on the drill and metal paste.

The test of the system was successful - the sound was quite pleasant, which I myself did not expect from a cheap Chinese can. And both with and without db-killer - clean even, low sound at all speeds!

Taking into account that the design of the exhaust has changed - now most of it passes next to the rider's right foot, increasing all chances to fry it at any opportunity - it is necessary to think at least about elementary thermal protection. There was not much choice on the Chinese market: I bought the right size shields - one small one made of carbon and one longer one made of steel. To prevent the steel one from getting very hot, I additionally wrapped the pipe section under it with thermo-insulating tape:

0 123
Comments
No CommentsNo Comments yet. You can write the first
Please Log In or install the app. Comments can be posted only by registered users.
Related
Home
Menu
Posting
Notify
Sign In
Profile
Content creation
Search
See More