The guys dragged a very tired and rusty 1982 R65 out of a barn and trailered it back to their workshop to the west of Lisbon. Luis worked his magic with a pencil, sketching a squat bobber silhouette. The most obvious addition is the fuel tank, pinched from a Yamaha Virago 1100, which is set back from the headstock thus leaving more of the frame on display.
The frame itself has the whole rear missing, just two new tabs pick-up the lengthy 390mm Hagon shocks while an extension of the original spine supports the leather solo saddle. Lustrous gold painting coats the tubes rather than traditional black powder, echoed by airbrushed gold and black on the spokes of the snow flaking cast wheels with a larger 19” up front and stock 18” at the rear.
The fork has been lowered 5cm internally and new Brembo clippers and discs fitted as the originals were heavily corroded. The wiring loom has also been replaced by a neat Motogadget friendly harness with M-Blaze bar end and pin indicators, controlled by M-Button switches. The ignition has been banished from the cockpit and now lives in the redundant air box thanks to the Bing carbs running K&N pods.
The rebuilt boxer motor sings through a sinewy stainless exhaust system fabricated by Tig-Power, exiting just ahead of the rear Firestone. Rizoma 70mm bar risers and repositioned rear sets altering the sit-up-and-beg ergonomics.
The final piece of the jigsaw was the paint, undertaken by Johnny Ink who, as well as laying it down the metal flake green on the tank, also airbrushed a Hedon Hedonist helmet to reflect the wheel and tyre combo.
- Sub-frame removed and replaced by an “Unik” solo tube, that supports the seat.
- Adaptation of a Virago 1100 tank, with changes on the frame supports, suppressing the old gas lid, upper structure with a relief and old tap, turning into a “monza cap”, straight tank on top and a new tap on the side.
- Wider and lowered front.
- Front rim replaced from an 18” to an 19”
- Complete exhaust system 2 x 1, in welded inox to a TIG with a pan.
- Rear set on the feet commands, with brake adaptation and gear selector.
- New Hagon shock absorbers with limited course.
- Customized paint job on the tank, rims, frame, symbols and helmet with graphics and metal flakes in two shades of green.
- Hedon helmet paintjob with graphics mirroring the Firestone tires tracks and the rims on the of the tires.
- Relocation of the ignition cylinder and lithium battery to a compartment inside the engine.
- Electric system replaced for centraline, button switches, manometer and turn signals, all Moto-Gadget brand.
- New fender and respective supports, license plate support, stop light and seat, all of them personalized.
- Painted engine with brushed details, installation of conic filters K&N and suppression of the old connection to the air filter on the engine lid.
- New complete braking system, with double disc and Brembo clippers.
Credit: [Unik Edition Motos]